23 April 2009

The Pursuit of Happiness

So it's late, dear Reader, and I need to sleep. But before I do, I wanted to give you a little prep for our next discussion. This is Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, a neuroanatomist who had something extraordinary happen to her.

Her story is powerful to different people for different reasons. But as the astute Reader will recall, I am somewhat hard on myself. For me, Dr. Taylor's speech below is a path that leads from a world where my mind never ceases to chatter about how I've failed to a world where I can again feel connected, whole, and happy.

For someone who lives almost entirely now in my left brain, I think I may have needed a left brain understanding of the problem in order to find some ray of hope--some inkling of grace in the ash-strewn wasteland of my mental and emotional desolation.

Anyway, please watch, to contextualize my comments, and perhaps you'll be kind enough to share what you think...

1 comment:

sopamaggie said...

Finally got a chance to watch to this sablecrow. Wonderful. Helps me understand why life in NYC is so hard for me sometimes. My left brain needs to be on so much more just to manage life, and I need to tend more right brain that just happens more organically (for me) in California. Thanks.